Light as a feather, strong as steel. Size-for-size, Samson Ropes Amsteel Blue AS-78 has the same strength as steel yet it is so light that it even floats.
We recommend all sailors keep a couple 5-10 ft. pieces of this rope in a few different diameters on the boat as backup - perfect for emergency replacements or repairs if a hound or shackle fails.
- Uncovered applications of Amsteel include primaries in cascades, vangs, traveler bridles, trapezes on dinghies. Great as wire replacement.
- When covered, use Amsteel as lightweight sheets for big boats, all halyards, tack lines.
- It works well as a replacement for wire outhauls or wire halyards to prevent issues from burs in wire and to save extra weight.
- In hand, this rope is very flexible, very smooth and slippery. These characteristics means that it works great for purchase systems above and below deck, but will need to be covered in areas where cleats are involved. If needed, APS can cover all or part of AmSteel Blue with a Polyester jacket to provide you with better handling and cleating.
Cover Material: No cover
Core Material: 100% Dyneema SK-78
- This torque-free, 12-strand single braid is made with Samson's proprietary blue Samthane coating over Dyneema SK-78 fiber. Dyneema has extremely low-stretch properties, superior flex, and wear resistance. The fully coated, tightly woven core provides great abrasion resistance so that it can be used in various applications all over the boat.
End Termination: Melted
- Ends can be melted but the line does not melt together as well as polyester. However, Dyneema will fuse together and the tight weave will limit fraying.
- Very easy to splice with a 12-strand eye splice.
|Size: Inches||Size: Millimeters||Tensile Strength (lbs.)||Weight in Lbs/100 ft.|
|Tensile Strength (lbs)||19600|