Career Opportunities at APS
APS, The World Leader in Outfitting Sailors, is a growing company always looking for motivated sailors to join the team. With a passion for sailing and drive to provide sailors with a superior customer experience, we pride ourselves on our sailing knowledge and experience.
We are in a perfect location in the heart of the maritime district in Eastport, Annapolis, where you’ll have easy access to the three major sailing clubs in town. From dinghy to offshore, plenty of sailing opportunities await. It’s not just a job, it’s a lifestyle.
We offer competitive wages, benefits for all year round employees and fabulous discounts on our products.
SALES & CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER
At APS, we believe in creating customers for life. The Sales & Customer Service department manager is a front-line sales leader responsible for the successful execution of the company’s sales, web order success and customer experience.
The APS Sales & Customer Service department manager has responsibility for achieving this goal through direct oversight of the Sales and Customer service operations of the company. The Sales & CS department manager is an experienced leader and is expected to provide mentorship, direction, skill development, and overall management of the team. The successful candidate is a well-rounded business professional with proven management skills. The candidate will also have the ability to proactively embrace challenges and new ideas, focusing on creating a superior customer experience.
- Develops and implements policies and practices to increase sales and improve the APS customer experience. Establishes and reports on a variety of sales and customer experience KPI’s.
- Compiles and analyzes sales reports, customer data and customer feedback to increase sales and improve the customer experience.
- Develops budgets which include sales volume goals, revenue targets and operating expenses. Understands the revenue goals and the investments required to achieve these objectives.
- Responsible for hiring, training, and developing team members. Sets performance standards for the team, coaches the team in order to achieve high performance. Measures and reports on individual and team performance.
- Monitors, reports on and remediates all issues impacting the customer experience. Works cross-functionally to create programs to improve customer experience. Proactively resolves customer issues.
- Collaborate with marketing, product management and website functions to facilitate customer communication, create new campaigns and offerings.
- Develop new processes, tools, communication structures, training and methodologies to ensure success across the sales team and departments throughout the company. Serve with other department managers to build relationships among team members of the various departments in order to achieve the company’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Ensures all processes are documented and all sales team members are utilizing the correct processes. Creates and/or edits process documentation when necessary.
You must be a leader of people who wants to get the best out of others and guide them to success. It is essential that you can hold others accountable while maintaining a positive attitude and outlook and be detail oriented and someone who is always looking for ways to continuously improve.
- EXPERIENCED AND ACTIVE SAILOR, RACING AND/OR CRUISING.
- Associates Degree minimum, Bachelor’s degree highly preferred.
- Minimum of three years of sales experience
- Minimum of three years of direct people management experience, including coaching and team building.
- Experience creating budgets and operating within budgets, analyzing variation and remediation of budgets and other KPI’s
- Strong selling and relationship building skills
- Proven management skills and experience, including creation and reporting on sales and customer experience KPI’s
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated communication skills, written, verbal and listening.
- Critical thinking skills and ability to problem solve with a bias for action
- Customer orientation
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and Word, including intermediate level Excel skills.
SALES & CUSTOMER SERVICE
If you have a passion for sailing, enjoy talking to and helping sailors, are a sailing ‘gear-head,’ turn your sailing knowledge and experience into a career. APS is currently looking to add to our Sales and Customer Service team. Our Sales and Customer service team works as solution providers and educators helping sailors find and purchase the best product to suit their needs. Not only will you be assisting customers, but like all team members at APS your role will focus on providing a great customer experience and creating customers for life.
- Process phone, web, email, fax and mail order inquiries acting as a sales and service consultant within company policies to achieve customer satisfaction.
- Process and spec rigging orders.
- Process and/or troubleshoot order returns, exchanges within company policies to achieve customer satisfaction and enhance their overall experience with APS.
- Act as brand ambassadors for APS and add value to overall the customer experience utilizing your sailing knowledge and experience.
- Look for ways to improve APS processes, procedures, services, and products
- Continually look for and suggest ways to improve customers shopping experience on the APS website to ensure we remain the preferred online retailer for sailing products.
- Contribute to APS's overall marketing efforts when possible by writing blogs, product reviews and noting new and innovative solutions and products.
- Experienced and passionate about cruising and racing sailboats
- Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about sailing and the APS product offering
- Ability to communicate in a clear, professional manner
- Experience using Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word & PowerPoint
- Ability to quickly learn about APS products, processes, and software
- Strong organizational and follow through skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work in a fast paced environment
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma required, Bachelor's Degree or higher preferred
- Previous experience sailing a wide variety of sailboats
We offer competitive wages, health insurance including dental/vission, paid vacation, paid holidays, a retirement plan, and fabulous discounts on our products. APS is located in the self-proclaimed ‘sailing capital’ of the U.S. Sailing experience is preferred, but not required. Compensation commensurate with experience.
SHIPPING & FACILITIES SUPERVISOR - (Permanent, Full Time - Hourly)
We are looking for solutions focused people to join our team. A sailing background is highly preferred, but not required.
This position reports directly to the Sales & Fulfillment Department manager and will work closely with that department manager in running the day to day Shipping and Facilities activities. APS ships customer orders via UPS and US Mail. The position is responsible for ensuring the smooth and timely operation of the order picking, packing and shipping area, supervising a small staff of 3 to (seasonally )10 pickers/shipping personnel. This position is also responsible for the day to day facilities maintenance activities such as ensuring the interior cleaning and outdoor grounds are maintained. Works with vendors to ensure maintenance contract compliance.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Previous experience leading a team of 3 – 10 people, preferably in a fast-paced picking and shipping operation.Knowledge of the UPS and USPS shipping policies and procedures. Harvey Software experience a plus.
- Experienced in scheduling workforce to ensure efficient utilization of labor and ensure the needed work gets done.
- Apply sound communication and motivational techniques in supervising coaching and disciplining associates.
- Identify employees’ skills and develop them by coaching and counseling employees on a regular basis.
- Issue written and oral instructions.
- Creates and updates a variety of reports to track performance metrics
- Problem solver, thinks challenges through and seeks solutions
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Understands the need for 100% on time shipping and order accuracy
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- This is a working supervisor position. You will be working alongside your team in getting the necessary work done. This includes picking, packing and shipping orders.
- Maintain a clean work environment in all areas under your supervision
- You and your team are also responsible for light housekeeping and facilities & grounds maintenance
- You and your team will perform other duties and tasks as assigned by the Department Manager.
Work Hours & Environment:
- This is primarily a Monday – Friday position, 8:30 to 5:30 pm.
- Work hours and shifts are subject to change depending upon the needs of the business.
- Some overtime is required (typically in season)
- This job requires frequent standing and walking. Frequent use of ladders. Occasionally will lift up to 50 lbs and will lift up to 20 lbs frequently.
- The work environment is typically indoors. However, the employee on occasion will perform outside work and would be exposed to local weather conditions.
This is a full-time, permanent hourly position eligible for all company benefits including: retirement plan, paid holidays and earned paid time off, health/vision/dental insurance. We offer a casual, yet professional work environment.
FULFILLMENT ASSISTANT - (Permanent, Full Time - Hourly)
*NOW HIRING FOR SUMMER SEASON - APRIL AND MAY START DATES*
- Pick, pack and ship orders within the customer promised time frame
- Ensure boxes are packed and shipped correctly and that the customer experience is excellent
- Be proactive about the security of APS merchandise
- Ensure inventory is in its correct allocated location at all times
- Receive, label and put away inventory
- Work well in a fulfillment team
- Work cross-functionally to support the APS team when needed
Capabilities and Attributes Required
- Ability to attend to detail and ensure accuracy of tasks
- Ability to work productively in a team
- Conscientious and energetic
- Ability to work under pressure against daily deadlines
- Other fulfillment and facilities duties as assigned
- High School Diploma required, College Degree preferred
- Sailing experience preferred, but not required
WEBSITE CONTENT & MARKETING MANAGER
APS (Annapolis Performance Sailing) is looking for someone who is an excellent strategic planner who can create and execute highly effective retail website content and market this to increase profitable sales. Planning includes market analysis and targeting, competitor analysis, sales analysis and channel analysis. You will effectively manage a team that will produce website, outbound and social content that is customer facing and SEO effective. Channels are website, blog, email, vlog and social media; and to a lesser degree print catalogs and print ads.
Paramount responsibilities are to insure that consumers have an excellent user experience (Ux) with all aspects of our website content. This includes superior product, category and informational copy; images, videos; and also knowledge base articles on How to Choose products.
This position also works cross functionally with other stakeholder managers to develop market data to drive promotions and customer facing content to produce an excellent customer experience (Cx) and increased sales results.
- Project and people management to achieve highly effective and ongoing website content creation and optimization
- Market content and promotions to achieve increased sales
- Maintain all customer facing content on our website
- Insure the Ux on the website is excellent; work with Website Technical Manager as required
- Write and edit effective copy/text
- Create and execute all marketing campaigns to increase profitable sales
- Monitor and analyze consumer traffic and sales; and adjust content marketing efforts accordingly
- Tracking and reporting of online e-marketing analytics
- Present a consistent high value brand image
Your Skills & Experience:
- 5 years of proven effective project management leading effective team to achieve results
- 5 years of proven effective management of retail website content, and results
- Proven effective management of retail digital marketing, and results
- Proven effectiveness writing & editing content for ecommerce
- Proven experience with original, engaging copy
- Proven experience with product subject matter copy
- Experience with content management tools
- Experience using content metrics such as Google Analytics
- Experience effectively using social media to create engagement with content - Facebook/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram/Pinterest
- Skilled in using basic HTML
- Highly skilled with MS Office
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
Bonus Skills and Will Need to Learn
- Experience staging, recording, editing and producing video
- Experience with CSS and HTML 5
- Experience with Magento Ecommerce platform
- Experience with blog platforms such as Wordpress
- Experience with print catalog content and copy
- Experienced in multi-channel marketing with a proven record of results
- Someone with a minimum of five years sailing experience in dinghies and keelboats, and a love of the sailing lifestyle. (non-sailors will not be considered)
- Excellent manager of team members through clear goals and measuring results for effectiveness
- Pro-active and self-motivated
- Eager to keep learning new skills
- Results oriented
- Strategically focused
- College graduate - Bachelors
We offer competitive wages, health insurance, generous paid vacation, a retirement plan, and fabulous discounts on our products. APS is located in the self-proclaimed ‘sailing capital’ of the U.S. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Not what you’re looking for?
If you don’t find the right position, send your resume to Employment@apsltd.com. We’re always looking for sailors to join our crew and know that a good sailor is tough to find.
$500 APS Gift Certificate for Referrals
Do you know someone who would be a perfect fit? If you refer someone to us who is hired we will give you a $500 APS gift certificate after their 30th day of employment. Just be sure to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with their name and the position you are referring them for. This must be done prior to them applying for the position, and must be in email format sent to email@example.com.