New England Ropes STS (stronger than steel) uses a precisely controlled rotation, heating, and tensioning process to heat set high-modulus Polyethylene fibers and balance loads across the ropes' shorter and longer fibers. On a microscopic level, the process straightens molecular chains for higher specific tensile properties resulting in over 25% more breaking strength and 90% less stretch than its competition at equal diameters.
- Common applications for uncovered Heat Set Dyneema include steering cables, backstays and other applications that need high strength, low stretch and greater durability than Vectran.
- Common applications when the line is installed with a cover include main and headsail halyards - especially on big boats, afterguys and asymmetrical tack lines.
- Heat Set Dyneema is very slick and stiff and feels almost like wire.
Cover Material: No cover
Core Material: Heat Set Dyneema SK-78
- The 100% Dyneema construction paired with the temperature and tensioning process creates a high strength, super durable line. Will stand up on end due to the heat set construction.
End Termination: Melted
- Ends can be melted but the line doesn’t melt together as well as polyester. However, Dyneema will fuse together and the tight weave will limit fraying.
- Very spliceable. Easily done with a 12-strand eye splice.
- Cannot be stripped, but can be inserted as a core.
|Size: Inches||Size: Millimeters||Tensile Strength (lbs.)||Weight in Lbs/100 ft.|