Marlow Ropes' Super Pre-Stretch Line is a small diameter double braided Polyester line. It undergoes a unique stretching process in which it is heated, stretched and the cooled in its elongated state. This process minimizes initial elongation and creates a very low-stretch line that runs extremely well through blocks. A workhorse of a control line that also is favored for spinnaker halyards because it runs well on take-downs. Distinctive colors make this line ideal line identification while racing.
- Perfect for control lines. Stiff construction allows it to zing through blocks making it ideal for spinnaker halyards on dinghies and small keelboats.
- The Nubby cover is easy to grip, cleats very well and maintains stiffness.
Cover Material: Polyester
- The durable smooth 8-plait Polyester cover is hardened by the pre-stretching process. This creates an incredibly smooth and fast running line.
Core Material: Polyester
- Also effected by the stretching process, the Polyester core helps to create a line that does not compress easily and maintains its shape.
End Termination: Melted
- Easily melted for line termination.
|Size: Inches||Size: Millimeters||Tensile Strength (lbs.)||Weight in Lbs/100 ft.|
|Line Application||Spinnaker Halyard, Control Line|
|Line Construction||Double Braid|
- No stretch and high quality
- No abrasion or UV resistance
Hi, this is Kyle from APS, and I'm here to share with you some of the characteristics of super pre-stretch line by Marlow Ropes.
This line is available in four colors, three diameters; 5/32”, 3/16”, and ¼” inch. It's an all polyester construction. It's an eight plate jacket which makes it a little nubby, so that texture is easier to hold on to. It's a parallel chord and is not meant to be stripped or spliced, you have to tie this on.
What's the super pre-stretch part? What they do is after they braided this they put this on the spring loaded, heated rollers which stretch the constructional stretch out of this and the heat sets, or for lack of a better word, kind of melts maybe, the line into place. Then while it's still under tension they cool it and it's left in this elongated pre-stretch position. For an all polyester line it's very low stretch.
This is the 5/32”. I've noticed through the years that they don't seem to put as much heat on the smaller diameters, or maybe there's just not as much surface area, so these don't tend to be as stiff right off of the spool. As you start to get up in the diameter, now the 5/32”, I can feel this is a little stiffer from the heat setting. Then in the ¼” inch you can see ... I can feel it more substantially. Some people say they prefer this for something like a spinnaker halyard because it is a little bit stiffer, and if you want to take the shoot down very quickly this tends to just zing out because it's in kind of a straight position going into the mast and out.
Anyways, that is super pre-stretch line by Marlow Ropes. For these and all of your line needs visit us at APSltd.com.