The Weems Chrome Stormglass is not only a unique and decorative artifact, but has a mysterious ability to predict weather. Believed to have been invented by an alchemist, stormglass instruments have been in use since the 1750s. The famous sailor and meteorologist, Admiral Fitzroy, mounted a similar model on the mast of HMS Beagle during his historic voyage with Darwin in the 1830s.
The idea behind the stormglass is that changes in weather affect the solubility of the chemicals sealed within the glass tube. Some believe that the disturbances in the crystal structures are related to electromagnetic changes caused by storms. This Weems Chrome Stormglass is and extraordinary gift, perfect for home, boat or office.
- Sealed glass chamber holds the crystals enclosed in a beautifully crafted brass cylinder.
- Can be displayed freestanding or mounted to a boat bulkhead or wall.
- Packaged in a handsome velvet-lined black gift box.
- Base, mounting accessory, finial and self tapping screw are included.
- Place stormglass in a location that avoids extreme heat or direct sunlight.
Size: 6.5" (165 mm) tall x 1-1/4" (31.75 mm) diameter
|Diameter (in)||1 1/4|
|Height (in)||6 1/2|