Marlow Ropes Excel Fusion Line
Line and wire is sold by the foot.
Marlow Excel Fusion is a soft to the touch, easy on your hands Dyneema blended double braided line. Its lightweight cover does not absorb water and is easy to taper. Excel Fusion has a blend of Dyneema and Polypropylene to resist abrasion and heat (melting) under high loads.
Great for mainsheets on any boat, jib sheets on dinghies and sport boats and lightweight spinnaker sheets on dinghies and small keelboats like the Melges 24. We recommend washing before use to remove soaps left by the manufacturing process.
Note: The diameter of Excel Fusion tends to run a little smaller than the size advertised.
- Excel Fusion is lightweight and can be used as a covered sheet, or the cover could be stripped back at the ends to save weight through the mainsheet purchase or the spinnaker sheet. Easily tapered for weight savings in areas that are not handled.
- The cover has a soft feel, good for handling. Excel Fusion is also a very flexible line that will not compress or lose its shape.
Cover Material: Dyneema SK-78/Polypropylene Blend
- The Dyneema/Polypropylene blended cover does not absorb water and is easy to taper. The cover texture makes it easy to hold under load and none of the materials absorb water so it stays light.
Core Material: Dyneema SK-78
- The Dyneema SK78 is pre-stretched, low stretch and lightweight. The core is coated and prepped for stripping and generally smaller than average for a given cover diameter. That means the cover is thicker, allowing more weight savings when stripped. The size difference can make the line slightly challenging to splice, but it can be done.
End Termination: Melted
- The ends can be melted together. Whipping recommend for a more secure termination.
- Challenging to splice due to size difference in cover and core, however possible. High-tech Double Braid Splice.
- Easily tapered to further reduce sheet weight.
|Size: Inches||Size: Millimeters||Tensile Strength (lbs.)||Weight in Lbs/100 ft.|
|Line Application||Mainsheet, Jib/Genoa Sheet, Spinnaker Sheet, Control Line|
|Line Construction||Double Braid|
|Core Material||Dyneema SK-78|
|Cover Material||Dyneema / Spectra, Polypropylene|
|Can Strip Cover?||Yes|
A couple days ago Chris talked about the awesome features of Paraloc's unique line. The next line we're featuring here on the Scoop is Marlow's Excel Fusion 75. Excel Fusion is a line we added to our selection last year and we have been extremely happy with the performance feedback we've received from customers about it.
Fusion is an excellent lightweight sheet line for dinghies up to sport boats. It won't absorb water and won't flatten out under load. We carry Fusion in four sizes - 6mm, 7mm, 8mm & 9mm. For those not metrically inclined that's 1/4" all the way through 3/8".
Aaron, one of the customer service representatives here at the shop, uses Fusion as his Laser mainsheet and raves about it. He likes it so much that when it was stolen along with his blade bag just a few weeks after he bought the sheet he went and bought another one the next day (even with an employee discount two Laser mainsheets are not exactly cheap so he must really like it).
Since I've been voted best looking in front of the camera (I might have made that part up) here I am with today's video:
Look for Excel Fusion 75 to be used in many of our custom one design rigging options this season including Lightning jib sheets & tapered M24 spin sheets.
Hi, this is Kyle from APS. I'm here to share with you some of the characteristics of Excel Fusion line by Marlow Ropes.
This line is available in four diameters: ¼”. 9/32”, 5/16”, and 3/8”. This is a double braid line. It excels as a dingy or small keel boat mainsheet, sometimes as a spinnaker sheet. As I said, it's a double braid. The outside is a DSK-78 Dyneema with polypropylene. Neither of those materials absorb water. They are low stretch. The polypropylene makes it a little easier to hold on to. It's a very round and- I wouldn't say firm, but it doesn't collapse in your hands. It's got a nice feel. For being so firm, it also feels a little bit soft at the same time.
It has a braided DSK-78 core which will take all the load. Very low stretch. Again, no water absorption. If you like, for mainsheet or spinnaker sheet applications, you can strip back part of the jacket and bury it into the core and just go with the very lightweight braided core at the working end of the line. If you were to put an eye splice in this, you would do either a twelve strand without the jacket and with this jacket, as tight as it is, we would probably terminate the cover and again just do a twelve strand splice with the jacket ending right at the neck of the eye splice.
This is ¼”. This is the 9/32” and it tends not to want to hold kinks, which is great as a mainsheet. It will run right through the blocks. This is the core. You can see the core diameter is quite small in diameter. And then moving into the 5/16”. Still nice and soft. Good flexibility. And again, you can see how small that core is, DSK-78. Lastly, the 3/8” and the core of the 3/8”.
This is Excel Fusion line by Marlow Ropes. For these and all your other line needs, visit us at apsltv.com.