Novatec Shock Cord
Line and wire is sold by the foot.
Novatec's Shock Cord is the best bungee we've found. Tough marine grade polyester cover protects the elastic core from abrasion and sun exposure. In general, you'll want to keep the shock cord stretched between 30% and 80% of its length. (Below 30% stretch, return the force is too low and above 80% you're approaching maximum stretch.) A good rule is to buy a length of shock cord twice as long as the "throw" in your system, then set it up so the shock cord is 30% stretched in its most-eased position. The largest sizes exert a return force of approximately 10 lbs. at 100% stretch.
- Many uses across cruising or racing applications, dinghies and keelboats. Keep doors from banging around down below, secure covers for storage, provide return for your jib car system and spinnaker poles, or keep your hiking straps in easy reach.
- Smooth cover gives durable protection.
Cover Material: Polyester
- Tough polyester cover is made of braided and colorfast, solution dyed yarns to provide superior protection against abrasion and UV damage.
Core Material: Blended Elastomer
- Minimum 100% stretch with high elasticity. This natural rubber, blended elastomer yields 85 to 100% elongation and recovery even after exposure to freezing conditions.
End Termination: Melted
- Ends can be melted for termination. Beware of strong odor.
|Size: Inches||Size: Millimeters||Tensile Strength (lbs.)||Weight in Lbs/100 ft.|
|Line Construction||Double Braid|
|Can Strip Cover?||No|
Hi. This is Kyle from APS, and I'm here to share with you some of the characteristics of our Novatec Shock Cord. This is a really good quality shock cord, the best we've ever found. It's available in five sizes, the 1/8th, 3/16th, 1/4, 5/16ths, and this one, 3/8ths. This will stretch to basically 100% of its restful length, and will recover and stretch, even in freezing conditions. The core of this is made of individual strands of natural rubber and elastomer, and being traditional shock cord, you'll want to keep this in a ... If the stretch range is, say, 100%, so that you have a good return force, the return force that's best for these is between 30% stretch and 80% stretch.
In that range, you'll get a good return force, so if you had this hog-ringed to a jib lead car that's remotely controlled, if you have this pre-stretched to 30% at rest, and the car can go forward, such that it takes us up to 80% stretch, that's the best range for the shock cord. It's available in a number of different colors, and one of the other advantages of this is the jacket, is here to protect the core, as with all lines, but this one is not nylon, which we find a lot, which doesn't hold up in the sun. This is polyester, so it's UV stable. It's abrasion resistant, lots of colors to choose from, and these colors are stable in the sun, so they don't fade very quickly at all.
For these, and all of your stretch cord needs, visit us at apsltd.com.