Samson Ropes Ultra Lite Line
Line and wire is sold by the foot.
Samson Ropes Ultra Lite line is extremely low stretch, lightweight and strong. It floats and will not absorb water. The construction of this offers a 26% weight savings over 100% polyester lines.
- Good light air spin sheet on dinghies and small keelboats. Perfect for those light air days when extra weight at the clews can collapse your sail. Good for mainsheets or jib sheets when you want a lightweight line with no water absorption.
- Has a very tight cover and is a fairly stiff line, which helps it run through blocks. The grippy texture helps it hold in cleats well and will not compress under load.
Cover Material: Polypropylene
- The 24 carrier polypropylene cover has been engineered with a coating for added wear life. Polypropylene is not UV stable so this rope should be kept covered when not in use or it will turn crackly-uncomfortable on hands. Expect a slightly shorter cover life than a 100% polyester line, but it is not a bad trade-off given the weight savings.
Core Material: Dyneema Polypropylene Blend
- The blending of Dyneema in this core adds strength to the lightweight polypropylene fibers.
End Termination: Melted
- The ends will melt easily, but can also be whipped for added durability.
- Can be spliced in sizes 1/4" and larger with a High Tech Double Braid Splice. The tight cover makes splicing a little harder than normal.
- Cannot be stripped - the blended core is not durable enough without the cover.
|Size: Inches||Size: Millimeters||Tensile Strength (lbs.)||Weight in Lbs/100 ft.|
|Line Application||Mainsheet, Spinnaker Sheet|
|Line Construction||Double Braid|
|Core Material||Dyneema SK-78, Polypropylene|
|Can Strip Cover?||No|
Hi, this is Kyle from APS and I'm here to share with you some of the characteristics of Ultra Lite Line by Samson Ropes.
This is a double braid line. It's available in four diameters. We've got 3/16”, ¼”, 5/16” and 3/8”. As I said it's a double braid. It's a nice smooth cover which is 100% polypropylene so it doesn't absorb any water. Then the core on this is a polypropylene Dyneema blend so there's where you get your low stretch and then none of the materials core cover absorb water so it stays very lightweight. It's an uncoated core. It's not meant to be stripped. It's meant to just cut it right off the spool, put it on the boat. Fantastic for keeping your spin sheets light on small keelboats and dinghies.
Occasionally people use these as a mainsheet because they're not as concerned about wear because the polypropylene doesn't hold up in the UV or in a high-abrasion resistance like a cleat where you're always cleating at the same place. They just want something super lightweight that doesn't absorb water.
If you wanted to do an eye splice in this it is possible. Not in the 3/16”, it's just too tight. Starting with the ¼” inch it can be a struggle but it can be done using a double high tech eye splice. 3/16”, a little firm and the core. You'll notice on the 3/16” they don't intend you to do an eye splice. It's a parallel core blended Dyneema polypro.
When you get to the ¼”, you get to the blended core so you can do a high-tech eye splice if needed. The 5/16”, it's got a nice round hand to it. Smooth but not slippery and the core and lastly we've got the 3/8”.
Available in all four colors and all four diameters. This is Ultra Lite Line by Samson Ropes. For these and all of your line needs visit us at APSltd.com.