Solid Elastomer Stretch Cord
Line and wire is sold by the foot.
An interesting alternative to traditional shock cord. Constructed of a specially formulated material to stretch up to 100% of its initial length, stretch cord is abrasion resistant and UV stable. Because there are no natural fibers, stretch cord will not dry-rot or degrade in salt water.
It has different stretch characteristics than shock cord proving a more consistent return force - especially between 50% and 100% stretch. Exerting a stronger return force overall-over 20 lbs. at 100% stretch (more than twice that of shock cord at the same diameter).
- Stretch Cord Solid Elastomer line can be used to replace shock cord in all applications throughout the boat. It works particularly well as jib car returns.
- The elastomer is smooth and slightly tacky to the touch.
Cover Material: No cover
Core Material: Blended Elastomer
- 100% blended solid elastomer. Be aware, due to solid construction any sharp edges that could nick or cut must be avoided. Under a load, a small nick will quickly cut the whole line.
End Termination: Knife Cut
- Melted termination unnecessary. Solid construction can just be cut with a knife. Use hog rings or plastic shock cord terminations.
- Snap terminations work well.
|Size: Inches||Size: Millimeters||Tensile Strength (lbs.)||Weight in Lbs/100 ft.|
|Line Construction||Single Braid|
|Can Strip Cover?||No|
Hi. This is Kyle from APS. I'm here to share with you some of the characteristics of our solid elastomer stretch cord. This is available in two different diameters, the 7/32 and quarter inch. It's not a big difference. This is a solid elastomer. It's UV stable, feels a little tacky to the touch. It will not dry rot which is great. Traditional shock cords after a while do tend to dry rot. This will not.
What's the advantage of a solid elastomer? It has a more consistent return force through it's entire range of stretch. Traditional shock cords for the first 10-20 percent don't have much return force. It you have this hog ringed, say to a genoa car that is remotely controlled with a control line, when you ease the control line traditional shock cord may not get the car all the way back. It just doesn't have enough return force, where with this, when you have remote control applications like that it'll get the car all the way back.
For this and all of your stretch cord needs, visit us at apsltd.com.